Commentator Matthew Henry distinguishes between Temporal blessings and Spiritual blessings.
In conversation we may refer to “our blessings” or say “I’m counting my blessings”. These blessings will differ from person to person and could be among of the following: material things such as money or possessions (wealth), health, family, friends.
The blessings mentioned above are temporal; only available to us for our lives here on earth. These blessings are not given equally to all people. Some people are blessed with wealth but not health and others with health but not wealth. In contrast those who accept Jesus Christ receive all God Spiritual blessings.
Paul tells us what the spiritual blessings from God are.
- We were chosen by God before the foundation of the earth to be saved and to be made holy (set apart for him) and blameless so that we can be in His presence forever. God does this for his own pleasure and according to his will.
- Jesus makes it possible for us to be accepted by God. This means we are adopted into the family of God.
- Our sins are forgiven through the blood of Jesus and this makes us acceptable to God.
- We are blessed with divine revelation. God reveals the mystery of His will to us. This refers to the gospel of our salvation.
- We are united with Christ.
- We gain an eternal inheritance and are co-heirs with Christ. Heaven is our inheritance.
- We receive the seal of the Holy Spirit which is a mark signifying that we belong to God.
When we are “counting our blessings” the scripture reading from Ephesians reminds us that we should be counting the spiritual blessings we receive when we accept Jesus in our lives. Colossians 2:3 confirms this Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
May we give thanks to God for our Spiritual blessings which are granted for all of eternity.